Creamy Tomato Pasta (Gluten Free)
This pasta recipe is the perfect weeknight meal and has been in my weekly rotation for a while now. It is so easy to make and uses very few ingredients, many of which are pantry staples.
- 2 Large shallots, diced
- ⅓ of a Chilli, diced
- 2-4 Cloves of garlic, grated
- 2tbsp Olive oil
- 1tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp Tomato purée
- Splash of water or wine
- ½ Tin of peeled plum tomatoes, crushes/blended
- 1 Sprig of rosemary or thyme
- 100ml Double cream
- 2 Portions of gluten free pasta
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add your diced shallots to the pot along with a pinch of salt and sauté until the shallots become translucent.
- Add some balsamic vinegar to the pot and continue to cook for a further one minute.
- Add the tomato purée to the pot and cook until it becomes a darker red.
- Add the diced chilli and grated garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Deglaze the pot with a splash of water or wine.
- Add the tomato and the rosemary or thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and allow to simmer. Stir occasionally and add water when needed.
- Bring a large pot of salty water to the boil. Add your pasta to this and allow to cook. Gluten free pasta can clump and stick together more than normal pasta so don’t forget to give it a stir now and again.
- Once your pasta is nearly cooked, take the sauce off the heat and add the cream and fish out the sprigs of herb.
- Taste your sauce and season accordingly.
- Add the pasta into the sauce along with a splash of pasta water. place back on the heat for 2 minutes to allow everything to come together.
- Serve in a pasta bowl and top with some parmesan cheese and some black pepper.
About This Recipe
Pasta is one of my go-to weeknight meals as I’m sure it is for many people. Everyone has busy lives and can’t make a fancy dinner every night. This recipe makes creamy tomato pasta that is quick and easy while not compromising on flavour. It is so delicious, and the sauce is silky and luxurious.
Many of the ingredients needed for this recipe are pantry staples so you will likely have most of the ingredients at home already! It’s a no-fuss meal that the whole family will love, and it takes just 20-30 minutes to make.
Question: How can I make this vegan?
- This recipe is fairly easy to make vegan especially as it is already vegetarian! You just need to sub out the double cream for a vegan substitute. I recommend using the Elmlea Plant Cream or a cashew cream as these have quite a neutral flavour like normal cream and unlike almond cream.
Question: My sauce tastes more acidic than I’d like, how do I fix this and why has it happened?
- If your sauce is too acidic it may need more time to cook. Tomatoes can be quite acidic in a sauce if they aren’t cooked for long enough. Another way to tone down the acidity would be to balance it out with a teaspoon of honey. I find that adding something sweet will tone down the acidity and bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes.
If you have any more questions feel free to email me them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Love Gluten Free
Hey! I’m Caroline, I love baking and cooking and finding new ingredients to create better gluten free alternatives. In 2015 I found out I had coeliac and since then it has been my mission to find great ways to make gluten free food better.
Note that as an Amazon Associate I may earn commission from qualifying purchases.