Gluten Free Garlic Chill Beef
This recipe is one of my favourites and is a go to for a weeknight meal as it can be whipped up in as little as 20 minutes. This Chinese chilli beef recipe is so easy and makes the most delicious dinner. It’s got a sticky sauce that is full of flavour with delicious crispy beef bits. If you like crispy chilli beef from the Chinese takeaway, then you will definitely love this!
- 300-350g Beef
- 5tbsp Cornflour
- 1⁄2tsp Hot chilli powder
- 1tbsp Chinese five spice
- 1tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1tbsp Ground Coriander
- 1tsp Paprika
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 Red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Shallot, finely diced
- 2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 Spring onions, finely sliced
- 1.5tbsp Honey
- 3tbsp Gluten free soy sauce
- Thumb sized knob of ginger, grated
- 2tsp Garlic granules
- 1 Chilli, grated or finely diced
- 2tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 2tsp Sugar
- Sesame seeds
- Firstly, you need to prepare your beef. If you are using a steak, place it in the freezer for 30 minutes and then chop into strips. If you are using diced beef, you can skip this step.
- In a bowl mix together Chinese five spice, cumin, coriander, paprika, chilli powder, salt and pepper. Place your beef strips into the bowl and make sure that they are covered with the spice mix. Set aside for around 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the rest of your ingredients. Firstly, make the chilli garlic sauce. In a ramekin or small bowl mix together the rice wine vinegar and sugar and mix until the sugar is almost dissolved. To this add the garlic granules, grated ginger and chilli. Mix and set aside. Now make the honey soy sauce. In a small bowl or ramekin mix together the honey and soy sauce until completely combined. Set aside. Chop and dice your vegetables.
- Add the cornflour to the bowl of beef and mix until all of the bits of beef are covered. Heat a few tbsp of neutral oil in a large frying pan or wok over high heat. Add your beef bits to the pan and sear on all sides. Once your beef is browned (3-4 minutes) remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and then add in your diced shallot. Fry for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Now add your garlic and sliced bell pepper and fry for a further minute stirring constantly.
- Pour in your chilli garlic sauce and soy honey sauce and cook for around 1 minute. the sauce should start to bubble. At this point add your beef back in along with half of your chopped spring onions. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes while tossing or stirring.
- Serve on a bed of rice and top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and some spring onion.
About This Recipe
Us gluten free people know how hard it can be to get gluten free Chinese food out. This recipe makes the most delicious Chinese takeaway style gluten free chilli garlic beef! If crispy chilli beef was your jam, then you will love this!
This recipe is super easy, and you will likely have all of the ingredients in your home already. It can be whipped up in just 20 minutes making it the perfect weeknight meal. Coating the beef in cornflour helps to create delicious crispy beef which is later tossed in a sticky chilli garlic sauce. It is such a simple recipe that the whole family will love.
If you wanted to make a vegan version, then just sub out the honey for golden syrup and the beef for a vegan alternative. A vegan version of this would be so delicious!
Question: Can I meal prep this?
- Yes, you absolutely can. However, note that it will not be crispy if you prepare it in advance. It will still be delicious, just don’t expect any crispness.
Question: My beef isn’t getting crispy, why is this?
- If your beef isn’t getting crispy you probably aren’t using enough oil. Using oil when making this dish is essential if you want crispy beef. If you don’t use oil, then the outer layer won’t cook fast enough and subsequently wont crisp up.
Question: What other vegetables would go well in this?
- Other vegetables that would taste great in this dish would be, pak choi, julienned carrots or tenderstem broccoli.
If you have any more questions feel free to email me them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Love Gluten Free
Hey! I’m Caroline, I love baking and cooking and finding new ingredients to create better gluten free alternatives. In 2015 I found out I had coeliac and since then it has been my mission to find great ways to make gluten free food better.
Note that as an Amazon Associate I may earn commission from qualifying purchases.