Gluten Free Salt and Chilli Chicken
Salt and chilli chicken is a takeaway classic! Unfortunately, though, it is very rarely gluten free. This recipe makes the most delicious gluten free salt and chilli chicken that will conquer your cravings.
- 1 Large chicken breast
- 50g Cornflour
- 30g Gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1tbsp Chinese five spice
- 1 Bell pepper (chunked or sliced)
- 1 White onion (chunked or sliced)
- 4 Cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 Chilli (sliced)
- Thumb sized knob of ginger (diced)
- 1 Spring onion (finely chopped)
- 2tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2tbsp Gluten free soy sauce
- 1tbsp Sugar
- 1tsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1tsp Sesame oil
- 1tsp cornflour
- Salt & pepper
- First prepare the sauce for later. In a small bowl or ramekin, mix together the soy sauce, sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and tsp of cornflour.
- Next chop your vegetables so they are ready to go as the dish comes together pretty quickly.
- Mix the 50g of corn flour with the plain flour along with some salt and pepper and half of the Chinese five spice.
- Cut your chicken into chunks and add it to the flour mixture. Make sure each piece of chicken is completely coated in the flour mixture.
- Heat your oil in a large frying pan or a wok. Once you oil is hot add in your chicken and allow it to crisp up
- Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside.
- If you need to add a little more oil do so.
- Add the onion, peppers, chilli, ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the rest of your Chinese five spice into the pan along with the chicken.
- Cook for a further 1-2 minutes before adding your sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly. If it becomes too thick add a little water.
- Serve on top of a bed of rice and sprinkle with the chopped spring onion and some sesame seeds.
About This Recipe
Getting a gluten free Chinese takeaway can be very tricky as soy sauce is in most of the dishes. Salt and pepper chicken is definitely an iconic dish to get from a Chinese takeaway in the UK, and unsurprisingly as it is delicious!
This recipe makes two portions of delicious gluten free salt and chilli chicken, reminiscent of the amazing ones I used to get from the Chinese takeaway pre-coeliac. It’s super quick and simple to make and you have likely already got the ingredients at home.
Question: Can I meal prep this?
- Yes, you absolutely can. However, note that it will not be crispy if you prepare it in advance. It will still be delicious, just don’t expect any crispness.
Question: My beef isn’t getting crispy, why is this?
- If your beef isn’t getting crispy you probably aren’t using enough oil. Using oil when making this dish is essential if you want crispy beef. If you don’t use oil, then the outer layer won’t cook fast enough and subsequently wont crisp up.
If you have any more questions feel free to email me them at firstname.lastname@example.org