Summer Caprese Salad
This simple summer salad is the perfect side dish for any dinner party or BBQ. This is best served in the months of May through till September when tomatoes are in season.
- Mixture of baby plumb and cherry tomatoes
- Handful of chopped fresh basil
- Fresh mozzarella
- 1part Honey
- 1part Lemon zest
- 2parts Balsamic vinegar
- 2parts Good quality olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Though this salad is extremely simple and quick to make it really does pack a punch and is the perfect way to let tomatoes shine while they are in season!
- Half all of your tomatoes and place into a bowl along with your chopped basil.
- In a salad dressing shaker combine the honey, lemon zest, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Shake well to emulsify. Dressing shakers are great to have as you can make large batches of your favourite dressings and sauces and just keep them in your fridge for use throughout the week.
- Drizzle your dressing into the bowl with the tomatoes and basil and toss to coat everything.
- Finish with some more fresh basil and a generous amount of fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces.
About This Recipe
Caprese salad is a classic Italian dish you will find on any menu. It is so simple and delicious, you should make it at home in tomato season with fresh beautiful tomatoes. The combination of tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, olive oil and balsamic vinegar is so summery and refreshing and is perfect as a side at a BBQ, a starter for a dinner party of simply as a quick lunch you can whip up in 5 minutes!
I love to use the freshest ripest tomatoes I can find. I recommend going to your local fruit and veg shop and picking out a variety of different tomatoes the day you plan to make the dish. I like to refrigerate my tomatoes before I use them, so they are crisp and cold. My favourite type of tomatoes to use for a caprese salad (Though not traditional) are a mix of cherry tomatoes and baby plum tomatoes as they are so juicy and full of flavour!
If you have any more questions feel free to email me them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Love Gluten Free
Hey! I’m Caroline, I love baking and cooking and finding new ingredients to create better gluten free alternatives. In 2015 I found out I had coeliac and since then it has been my mission to find great ways to make gluten free food better.
Note that as an Amazon Associate I may earn commission from qualifying purchases.