Gluten Free Lemon and Rosemary Drizzle Cake
This is a light and spongy cake that is very moist due to the drizzle. It is primarily a lemon cake but includes rosemary to create a subtle floral note. This cake serves 5-6 people and is perfect for a summer afternoon.
- 110g Unsalted butter
- 2 Sprig of rosemary
- 2tbsp Dried rosemary
- 155g Caster sugar
- 2 Medium eggs
- 1tbsp milk
- 110g Gluten free self raising flour
- The juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 100ml water
The rosemary in this cake gives it a light floral note that complements the lemon.
- Weigh out the butter and add to a small pot along with one sprig of fresh and one tbsp of dried rosemary. Heat over medium, stirring continuously, until there is not much foam left. We are not trying to brown the butter rather infuse it with the rosemary. Leave to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin with parchment.
- In a bowl whisk together the cooled rosemary butter and 110g of the caster sugar. Add one egg in along with a tbsp of the flour and whisk until incorporated. Do the same with the other egg.
- Whisk in the zest of two lemons and juice of one lemon.
- Mix in the flour and the milk.
- Pour into the lined loaf tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. If your cake is beginning to brown too much put some tinfoil over it. Allow to cool completely.
- For the drizzle, in a pot, mix together the remaining 45g of sugar the juice of a lemon 100ml of water a sprig of fresh rosemary and a tbsp of dried rosemary. Heat this over medium heat for 4 minutes. Drizzle some over a cold plate and if it appears like a loose syrup it is ready.
- With a pastry brush dab your syrup over the cake.
- Now you can optionally use some thick water icing to decorate.
Love Gluten Free
Hey! I’m Caroline, I love baking and cooking and finding new ingredients to create better gluten free alternatives. In 2015 I found out I had coeliac and since then it has been my mission to find great ways to make gluten free food better.
Note that as an Amazon Associate I may earn commission from qualifying purchases.